Sunday, July 30, 2006

War on Dirt

It was only inevitable that a city so obsessed with appearances would finally start cracking down on the filthy among us.

And before you crack a smile, thinking that a crackdown on litter (or something similar) has been initiated, give me a moment to clarify.

You see, near my block of flats is an open air parking lot (not the sandy kind, but a proper paved parking lot) which is free of charge and for the residents of the surrounding buildings. This parking lot is away from any commercial area and is not visible to the general public.

I tend to use this parking lot myself and just yesterday I saw a friendly young guy glueing what appeared to be leaflets to certain cars. On closer examination, I noticed that these were nothing but a fine being placed on dirty cars.


And this after an extremely blustery weekend. So most cars got nailed. One of the cars which got a fine is my neighbour's (who is on a short vacation).

Well, I guess people have one new thing to worry about, how to keep their vehicles sand free in this Sandy town (especially while on vacation).

Probably what takes the cake is this wonderful piece of prose in the fine slip ".... requested to remove the vehicle as it is disfiguring the public view and beauty of the city ....." ............... Beauty of the city?? We are talking about the same city here right?? Dubai is beautiful?? When did this happen?? How come no one informed me??

Well, could you expect anything less from a city that prides itself for making tacky copies of other's icons and believes the epitome of culture and refinement is making a Shopping area called culture village (where all the items are gonna be made in china).

So what next?

I can see them outlawing washing cars in public just so everyone is forced to use the carwash places (which are owned by you know who).

How about making sure the boys in blue only come out in public between 1:00am - 3:00am. They are an eyesore, and I wouldn't want them disfiguring the beauty of our beautiful, booming, no1, favorite city.

6 Comments:

Blogger Seabee said...

I see vehicles every day belching stinking black smoke from the exhaust without ever being pulled over. I guess as long as the bodywork is clean that's OK?

4:49 AM  
Blogger Earthbound Misfit said...

of course, seabee.

Don't forget, this is Superficial Central we are living in. As long as the outer appearance is fine, who cares about hown rotten the insides are. (same goes for people)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Brn said...

I knew that I had read before I moved here that you could be fined for having a dirty car, but no one has ever believed me.

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fitting for the city and mindset we built.

FYI, I seeded this entry on Newsvine and dugg it on digg..

10:51 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

When I first started reading, I thought you were joking! It's absolutely unbelievable. Whatever next?!

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it cats eye tire pressure system discount tire homepage Suzuki gsxr 750 x Bal tire lock chock Lexus is 2005

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home